Misinterpretation in my academic life: A real and inspiring narrative

My simplicity and honesty sometimes put me in distress situations which trigger high level of stress. While recapping my life, one appalling misunderstanding momentarily embarrassed me during completion of my post graduate program.

After attaining my undergraduate degree in science, I was exploring great academic opportunities and hunting for subjects to get enrolled in a post graduate program and to ascend my career to grab high package employment in any giant multinational company. I was interested in studying human behavior and emotions of individuals in different critical stages of life. Therefore, I chose psychology as a subject for my PG degree. Since I did not have a psychology education background in the undergraduate program therefore, I had to undergo an admission test for the PG program which I cleared convincingly.  During seminars and tutorials at the initial stage, professors instructed me to first deeply study the basic psychological concepts, principles and statistical formulas. By nature, I was fond of researching on any topic to prepare study notes. I began to comprehend fundamental dogmas of psychology syllabus and especially different statistical constructs from different books.



In the first year of a psychology study, normally professors assign a set of questions and expect solutions in a given timeframe. During the initial study program, I was given a set of problems in statistics to be submitted within one week. I was very cautious because I had to grasp the study material from scratch. Therefore, I gave my best and submitted the statistical assignment within time.    

The very next day, when I was in the library and preparing notes of social psychology, the attendant of the psychology department approached me and said that you had to see the Professor immediately in his chamber. I got scared. So many questions bombarded me. Why did he call me? Whether I failed in my assignment or did I not answer in a professional manner. Anyway, I had to go. I went to the professor's chamber and knocked on the door. He said, come in and offer a seat. I said thanks but at that time I was a bit nervous.  Professor threw an angry face and asked me, can you brief me how you solved the statistical theorem? The formula you applied was not in the book but your answer is correct. Whether you had speculated something. I was wondering because I applied the correct formula to solve the question. Since, I have a habit of referring to several books and then preparing a good study note. Probably that habit had put me in trouble. I replied to my professor, Sir, to study deeply, I referred to many books including business statistics. I found a formula used from a business perspective but the meaning was the same as a statistical formula in psychology. Actually, my cousin did post-graduation in commerce and I referred to his books to comprehend some mathematical concepts.

My professor was not convinced with my reply. He irately spoke that your statements are baseless. You need to provide some proof of your words. I honestly put my stand and confidently said, ok Sir. I will show the book to which I referred to solve the questions.

Next day, I handed over the business statistics book of my cousin to which I had referred to solve questions. After that, my professor was in silent mode for one week and then called me one day after delivering his lecture. He politely said that it’s a good habit to expand your knowledge from diverse sources. I misunderstood you because you are the fresher in psychology post graduate program. You are really a sincere student. Keep it up. I want to see you as a high performer in future. I was elated and thanked him.

Misunderstanding totally throbbed my mind and I was not in a normal position till all doubts were cleared. We should always step up to clear doubts or misunderstanding among people around us to create a healthy and jubilant environment.

Important note: Above narrative is based on a true event. Any resemblance is just a coincidence. Writer is not responsible for any disagreement.

 

 

 

 

Comments

creative writing

Forced to believe in spiritual power

Never forget me: High level suspense drama (Sensational film story)

Ghostly nature of humans: Glimpse of true happening